What are we fans ?
What I love the most about any goal is not the quality of that goal, not the player who scored it, not how he celebrated it, not what amount of goal he has scored, not who the opponent are. What I love when a goal is being scored is to watch the fans go crazy behind the goal, or that man spilling his beer while he celebrates his team’s goal by jumping in his chair, that old man shedding his tear watching his team win, that little girl with her country’s flag in her cheeks smiling because of that goal. That, for me, is pure joy. It is unconditional, like a mother’s love.
We don’t ask for money, glory or fame. We celebrate the goal for the team, for the club, and for the city or country they live in. We forget about our personal problems when our teams score. We forget about the mortgage, we forget about the bills we have to pay, we forget about our exams, I have even seen a man who was late for his wedding because his team’s match went into extra time. That, my friends is dedication, commitment, determination, and true love.
For us, being a top footballer is a fairy tale world, a dream world where Money is beyond our dreams, there is worldwide fame, and you have millions of fans. How cool it must be, we can only imagine. But, hold on right there for a second, I will let you in a little secret. We don’t need these footballers; they are the ones who need us. I believe, fans create a club. Fans are the reason the game is being played in the first place. Imagine a derby game in an empty stadium, imagine if there were no viewers, imagine if the media companies were not making any profits, imagine if we never bought any of the club’s shirts or products that these players endorse. You think they will still get paid? The fact is that we fans pay them.
When we lose an important game, a derby, or a cup final etc, as a fan, you know how much it hurts. You feel physically sick; you see the world black and white, you can’t hear the birds sing, the world seems gloomy, your appetite dies. Even after few days, you feel depressed. You can’t help but think what if he scored that chance or what if that goal wasn’t offside or what if that player did not make that stupid tackle and so on. You imagine things, what could have happened, what should have happened.
Our clubs are a significant part of our lives. We make our schedule according to the teams’ schedule. People overseas wake up at 3:00 am to watch their team. We miss our appointments just to catch that interview our managers just gave. Our earnings are low but we buy the new shirt with our favorite player’s name. We choose our clubs when we play Fifa. We get into arguments with our friends and even family out of club’s loyalty. We have sacrificed a major part of our lives watching, talking, listening, worrying about our clubs and will continue to do so. What I am trying to say, my friends, if you are reading this, that we ARE important. Fans are the most important thing for any club, and for the game itself. I hope the players, managers; board and the owners realize and acknowledge that.
I hope I can talk on behalf of all the loyal fans. I thank you for keeping this beautiful game alive.
0 Response to "what are we the fans"
Post a Comment